The Red Album: Pagan Voices for Reproductive Rights is a compilation album to raise money to support abortion access and reproductive/human rights organizations.
The many artists who gifted a track to this project have create a diverse expression of solidarity. They lend their voices to manifest a future where people are free choose what is done with their own bodies. With drums, strings, breath, and heart you can feel their anguish, defiance, hope and blessings in this music that is magic.
The idea for The Red Album was born during a panel discussion at Pagan Spirit Gathering June of 2022. During a discussion panel for Pagan Songwriters, just after the announcement that Roe v. Wade was overturned, the panelists were inspired, with passion, to write protest songs for bodily autonomy, freedom to choose and abortion rights.
After the festival, the discussion continued online and on the phone across the country. It was decided to create a compilation, called The Red Album, with each artist to gift one original not previously released song. Much like The Green Album released in 2016, with an environmental action theme to raise money for the Rainforest Trust, The Red Album will raise money for abortion access and reproductive/human rights organizations. Both are compilations by Pagan artists.
All the proceeds from the sale of the album will go to the National Abortion Federation and Elevated Access. The mission of the National Abortion Federation is to unite, represent, serve, and support abortion providers in delivering patient-centered, evidence-based care. https://prochoice.org/ Elevated Access, launched in April 2022, is a volunteer pilot network that flies people in private aircraft at no cost to access abortion and gender-affirming care. https://elevatedaccess.org/
The artists that have been working diligently to write and record original works for The Red Album project:
- Alexian https://pagansong.com/about-alexian/
- Alexander James Adams https://pagansong.com/about-alexander-james-adams/
- Brian Henke – https://pagansong.com/about-brian-henke/
- Celia Farran – https://pagansong.com/about-celia/
- Crow Women – https://pagansong.com/about-crow-women/
- Ginger Ackley – https://pagansong.com/about-ginger-ackley/
- Kira Lang – https://pagansong.com/about-kira-lang/
- Krista Chapman Green – https://pagansong.com/about-krista-chapman-greene/
- Louis Garou – https://pagansong.com/about-us/about-louis-garou/
- Mama Gina – https://pagansong.com/about-us/about-mama-gina/
- Meren King – https://pagansong.com/about-meren-king/
- Mr. E – https://pagansong.com/about-mr-e/
- Pan Fried – https://pagansong.com/about-pan-fried/
- Primal Rhythm – https://pagansong.com/about-primal-rhythm/
- Richard Anthony Williamson – https://pagansong.com/about-richard-anthony-williamson/
- S. J. Tucker https://pagansong.com/about-s-j-tucker/
- Spellsinger https://pagansong.com/about-spellsinger/
- Spiral Rhythm https://pagansong.com/about-spiral-rhythm/
- Sydney Michael https://pagansong.com/about-sydney-michael/
The album release date will be on the 1-year anniversary of the overturning of Roe v. Wade, June 24th, 2023.
Some words from the musicians on the album:
“They kicked a hornet’s nest.
Buzzing up from the angry hive, we bring you The Red Album. While we, the musicians who are building this project, are hurt and angry, we are also determined to give voice to the voiceless, make a rallying point in song, give our time and energy to making it clear that ALL human rights must be defended and that rulings such as the overturning of Roe cannot stand.”
-Kiki Williamson of Spiral Rhythm
“…It is time we call the ancient Goddesses to come to our aid, and with their strength, to stand up for what is right for the women of this world…. “ – Meren King
“…We wanted to express our grief and outrage at the loss of reproductive choice, and give voice to the Goddess as she pours out comfort and strength to support us in working to regain our rights…” – Crow Woman
“I believe wholeheartedly in personal sovereignty. Each person must have the right to exercise freedom to choose what they deem is in alignment for their own bodies, minds, spirits, and time. I am here to awaken and remind women of our undeniable worth and power. We are precious, we are sacred, wild, and FREE.” – Celia Farran
Enjoy this article and want more and current stuff? Visit the Newsstand and subscribe today!
Use the Discount Code THEREDALBUM on a subscription to the Meta-Moon Full Subscription and 25% of your monthly payments will be donated to The Red Album to help cover production and promotion costs!